Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Prawns with Oats

I first had this dish in Singapore with my Mars - Jenny and Joan.  I made a mental note that when I get back home I will look for the recipe in Google.  I found and tried different versions, the best being the one I found in the Oct. 2007 issue of Yummy Magazine.  It became an instant family favorite, usually served on special occasions.  Today is 2nd Brother's birthday so we had to have our Prawns with Oats.

Do try this recipe out, it is super delicious.  As suggested in the magazine, if you are serving to kids it is best to remove the shells before cooking.  Or you can do what I do, I make two batches - the peeled ones are for the kids, while the ones with the shells on are served to the adults.  For me it tastes better if you cook it with shells on.

Here is the recipe from Yummy Magazine, they call it Cereal Prawns in the magazine:

5 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon powdered milk
600 grams prawns, cleaned, leave shells on
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter
8 pieces curry leaves (available in Indian shops and groceries; if you can't find curry leaves just leave it out)
2 pieces siling labuyo
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons chicken powder (simply crush a chicken broth cube)

1.  Mix cornstarch and powdered milk together.
2.  Dip the prawns in the egg, then the cornstarch-milk mixture.  Deep-fry the prawns in hot oil and set aside.
3.  In a wok, melt the butter and add the curry leaves and siling labuyo.   Cook until fragrant, then add in the oats and sitr-fry for a while.
4.  Add the sugar and chicken powder.
5.  Throw in the prawns and stir-fry until all pieces are coated with the oats mixture.

This post is dedicated to my dear Kuling, who requested that I post the recipe.  Kuling hope you get to cook and enjoy this scrumptious dish with your friends.



2 comments:

cherrey said...

this is interesting. found your link from angsarap

Eileen said...

Thanks Cherrey for visiting, hope you visit my blog often =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...