Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Adobo Flakes

Adodo is considered by many as the Philippine's national dish.  Every Filipino home most likely has their version of adobo. 

I probably have been eating adobo since I was 2 years old.  I can still recall whenever Lola cooked adobo you could smell the delicious scent of pork being cooked in garlic, soy sauce and vinegar.  That scent would prompt me to go to the kitchen and anxiously wait for Lola to finish cooking.  When the adobo was done, she would transfer it to a serving plate, and then would get day old rice and stir-fry the rice in the pan where the adobo had been cooked.  I would eat every morsel of that adobo rice together with several pieces of the delicious pork adobo.   

I never got her recipe for adobo, she passed away before I could ask her for it.  My mom’s version is good but Lola’s will always be the best for me.  Miss you Lola.

Now on to the recipe, these days the “little girl” prefers adobo flakes, probably because she lost 2 of her front milk teeth and a molar recently.  It would be easier for her to chew the flakes than the cubed adobo pieces.

To make this dish you need to shred by hand cooked adobo into flakes.  It really depends on your preference how thin the flakes should be. We like ours to be somewhat still thick.   In a pan heat up some oil, then fry some crushed garlic.  I like to leave the skin on the garlic.  Then add the shredded adobo with its sauce.   You can add a pinch of rock salt if you like.  Fry until crispy but make sure it does not burn.  Serve this with rice and tomato plus fried egg.

You can also use this dish as toppings for lugaw, for this purpose it is best that you shred the adobo super thin.  This will make the flakes super crispy when you fry them.


1 comment:

Zyra Santos said...

Looks sooo delicious!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...