Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Frist Time to Cook Humba


I came across this dish when I was looking for different adobo recipes.  Humba is similar to adobo, though it is sweeter because sugar is added.  According to my Mom this dish is popular in the Visayas, this is one of her favorite dish to have whenever she is in Cebu.  As for me I have never had this dish, I've seen it being offered in cafeterias and as packed lunches delivered to offices.

I liked how this dish turned out.  I live the combination of the sweet, sour and salty flavors.  I particularly loved how the banana pieces turned out, in fact I had more banana than pork.  Though it did turn out that I added too much sugar when I adjusted the water.  The sauce should have been thick but not caramelized, well next time I'll know better.

Here is the recipe:
1/2 kilo pork, adobo cut
4 hard boiled eggs
4 pieces saging na saba
2 cups water
1/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 pieces bay leaf
black pepper, preferably freshly ground
6 cloves minced garlic
oil

1. In a pan add oil, saute the garlic until it turns golden brown.  Then add the pork pieces and brown on all sides.
2. Add water, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and bay leaf.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 1 hour.  During the 1 hour you may add more water if required, but the final consistency of the sauce should be thick.
3. Add the saging na saba and the boiled eggs, season with black pepper, then simmer for 10 more minutes.

(I had to repost this entry because the original one was deleted when Blogger had technical issues the 2nd week of May 2011)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...