Friday, May 20, 2011

Okonomiyaki - Japanese Pancake


When I was still living in Makati every Sunday I would drop by Legazpi Sunday market.  I loved discovering new food items every time I was there.  One of my favorite discovery was Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake).  It was sold by a  friendly Japananese gentleman who always had a smile on his face.  In his disticnt Japanase accent he would say "Taste, this is very good".  He did not speak much English but he delivered this line with conviction you just had to try his food. 

Since moving I have not been back at Legazpi for over a year now.  So when I found a recipe for this tasty dish in Yummy Magazine I definitely had to make. Of course Mr. Japanese's version is far superior to the one I made.  His was perfectly round and beautiful, while mine crumbled when I flipped it.  But my version was good enough to satisfy my craving for Okonomiyaki. 

Here is the recipe:

In a large bowl whisk together 1 cup all purpose flour and 2/3 cup water until smooth.  Add 2 eggs, 3 cups cabbage (thinly sliced) and 2 stalks sliced green onion, mix.  Heat some oil in a non-stick pan.  Pour half of the mixture into the pan.  Using a spatula flatten the pancake.  Place 2 to 3 strips of bacon on top of the pancake.  When buttom is set (about 3 minutes) flip over the pancakeabd cook for 4 minutes.  Flip again (bacon side up) and cook for another 3  minutes, or until brown and firm.  Transfer to a serving plate drizzle with Japanese mayonaisse and okonomiyaki sauce.  Garnish with bonito flakes and sesame seeds.

I did not have bonito flakes so instead I used small dried fish instead.

To make your own sauce combine 1 cup ketchup, 1 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/3 cup honey and 1/3 cup oyster sauce.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...